Best Tradesmen in Southern Adelaide, SA
McLaren Vale is Australia’s premium food and wine region centred at the town of McLaren Vale approximately 35 km south of Adelaide in South Australia. It is internationally renowned for the wines it produces and included within the Great Wine Capitals of the World. The McLaren Vale region is well known for its dry red wines, especially those made from Shiraz, Grenache and Mourvedre. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot are also grown. White wine varieties in the region include Chardonnay, Semillon, Sauvignon blanc, and Riesling.
The McLaren Vale wine region has no recognised subregions, however, some wineries promote their vineyards as being in particular subregions with terroir peculiar to that part of the region. The McLaren Vale Grape Wine and Tourism Association has identified 19 distinct districts based on climate and geology. Most vineyards are found on gently undulating land at about 100m above sea level. In the foothills of the Mount Lofty Ranges to the east, where there is a scattering of vineyards, elevation rises to 320 m. In the north around Blewitt Springs elevation is around 200 m. These variations in elevation have a significant impact on the terroir and fruit produced in the vineyards.
Maslin Beach is a southern coastal suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the City of Onkaparinga. The name refers to the town of Maslin Beach, the beach after which it was named and the suburb which contains both. In this article, the name shall be taken to refer to the suburb, unless stated otherwise. Maslin Beach is located between Main South Road, which forms the suburbs eastern boundary, and Gulf St Vincent.
The most well-known attraction in the suburb is the beach at Maslin Beach. Also known as Maslin’s Beach or, simply, Maslin’s, the beach is the site of a cliff-lined recreation reserve stretching from Maslin Beach town in the north to Blanche Point in the south. There are three parks in Maslin Beach. One is at the top of the stairs, one is on Beachway Avenue and one is on Parkway Avenue located next to the town hall.
Morphett Vale is a southern suburb of Adelaide, South Australia in the City of Onkaparinga. It is the largest suburb in the state, with a population of more than 23,000 and an area of 12.76 km², followed by Paralowie with nearly 10,000 fewer residents. There are approximately 1,000 businesses in Morphett Vale. The suburb is bordered by (clockwise from north) Sheriffs/Pimpala Road, Panalatinga Road, Doctors/Beach Road, and the Southern Expressway.
Morphett Vale was named after John Morphett. The town quickly boasted churches and chapels, a brewery, wind flour mill, court house and police station. Agriculture consisted of cereal, mixed farms and vineyards. 1852 saw the formation of the Morphett Vale District council which merged with Noarlunga in 1932. During the second world war the district was a major producer of flax. Extensive land subdivision occurred during the 1960s, transforming the area from a rural region to a metropolitan suburb.
Some notable buildings and businesses include: Doctors House on the corner of Beach and Main South Roads, The Emu winery which was later demolished to make way for Wirreanda High School and a housing sub-division. The Heritage listed Old Courthouse is visible alongside early churches in William Street. The Willunga railway line ran through the town until 1969, but has since been replaced by a bicycle/pedestrian path. The old Station Master’s Residence is now the Southern Districts Workingman’s Club and has been substantially remodelled to its current form. The last tenants of this building are still residents of Morphett Vale.
Christies Beach is a seaside suburb in the southern Adelaide metropolitan area, within the City of Onkaparinga. The area is scenic and hence popular with photographers as Witton Bluff provides a natural vantage point over the entire suburb and beyond. Christies Beach boasts a unique commercial strip running the entire length of Beach Road and is identified as a primary coastal node in the Adelaide Metropolitan area (Planning SA, 2007). Christies Beach also features one of the few remaining main road classified Esplanades in Metropolitan Adelaide, providing direct access to the beach on Gulf St Vincent.
The Morrow Road bridge over Christies Creek, a Local Heritage place, was once the main road bridge linking Christies Beach to O’Sullivan Beach. The structure is thought to be the only remaining example of a wooden road bridge in the former Noarlunga Council area. Situated on Galloway Road between Gulf View Road and Carmichael Road, Lohmann Park is home to “The Rainmakers”, a statue of bronze Aboriginal warriors. The sculpture was gifted to the people of Noarlunga City Council by Eugen Lohmann Esq., the Governing Director of Wender and Duerholt, a (West) German building company which had built a number of South Australian Housing Trust homes in the area. The statue was unveiled by then Premier of South Australia, Frank Walsh, on 21 May 1965.
Aberfoyle Park is a suburb in the City of Onkaparinga in the state of South Australia. It is located in the southern suburbs of Adelaide, approximately 20 km from the city centre. Aberfoyle Park has a shopping mall called “The Hub”, several primary schools and a public high school, one of the biggest in the state. Aberfoyle Park is served by the Adelaide Metro bus routes G20, G21 and G22, which connect the suburb to Adelaide’s city centre. The suburb is located in the Adelaide Hills, giving the area a hilly terrain. Parks located in the suburb include Thalassa Park.
The Happy Valley sports park, which is located near Aberfoyle Park High School, contains the Happy Valley Football Club who are known as the Vikings, the Happy Valley Cricket Club, the Happy Valley Tennis Club, a lawn bowls club, a BMX club with a track and the Aberfoyle Park Scout group. The Aberfoyle Park hub has a YMCA, which runs many community events such as volleyball. Although little original plant cover remains, local reserves and parks have been retained for native vegetation. Adjacent to Sauerbier Creek, for example, is a significant project where silver banksia open woodland is being fostered.
Blackwood is a south eastern suburb located in the foothills of Adelaide, South Australia. It is part of the local government area of the City of Mitcham. The name “Blackwood” probably comes from either the Acacia melanoxylon, also known as the Australian blackwood, which grows in the nearby Mount Lofty Ranges, or the Eucalyptus odorata, which grows in Blackwood and has dark bark.
Blackwood Soldiers’ Memorial was erected in 1921 in the most prominent place in Blackwood: the five-ways roundabout. It is a place of Local Heritage, listed for being “a notable landmark in the area”. Wittunga Botanic Garden, originally a private property with English gardens established in 1901, is located in Blackwood and features displays of Australian and South African plants. Blackwood railway station is a transport hub with buses to Adelaide and the outer Southern suburbs, and trains to Adelaide and Belair.
Seacliff is a suburb of Adelaide in the City of Holdfast Bay. The suburb is adjacent to Brighton, Seacliff Park, Marino and Kingston Park. Seacliff Post Office opened on 1 July 1915 and closed in 1978. The Seacliff Beach, has been a destination for food and ice cold drinks. The Seacliff is renowned for its amazing pub food, huge range of beer and cider on tap, live music five days a week and the perfect place to hold any function. The Seacliff Beach is the perfect spot for a family meal, an ice cold drink, or simply relax and watch the beach from one of the bars and cafés.
Glenelg is a beach-side suburb of the South Australian capital of Adelaide. Located on the shore of Holdfast Bay in Gulf St Vincent, it has become a tourist destination due to its beach and many attractions, home to several hotels and dozens of restaurants. Glenelg also became infamous for being the site of the Beaumont children disappearance in 1966. Glenelg has been a popular spot for recreation and leisure for much of its history. Following the success of Luna Park, Melbourne, a similar amusement park was constructed on Glenelg’s foreshore in 1930. Luna Park Glenelg was placed in voluntary liquidation in 1934, and all the rides (excluding a single carousel) were disassembled, purchased by the directors, and transported to Sydney, where they were used to create Luna Park Milsons Point. The park’s managers claimed that the reasons for the closure were the inability to make money from the park as it was, and opposition to changes from Council and residents, who were afraid that “undesirables” would be attracted to the area.
The suburb is bordered by Anzac Highway, (the road link to the Adelaide city centre), to the north, Brighton Road to the west and Pier Street to the south. Jetty Road is the main shopping strip in the suburb, and runs down the middle. The Adelaide Metro operates several bus services from Glenelg to various destinations including the City of Adelaide and Adelaide Airport. The local council operates a free loop bus service in the area. Recreational boating is popular in Glenelg. To the north is the mouth of the Patawalonga River, which has been dammed to create an artificial boat harbour with a lock down to the sea.
Glenelg is the finishing point of the annual City-Bay fun run held in September. The run is 12 km long. Jetty Road is a long ribbon of shops, entertainment facilities and other commercial activities – it is the main shopping precinct in Glenelg.
Sturt is a suburb of Adelaide in the City of Marion local government area. It was named after the explorer Captain Charles Sturt. Sturt is in the South Australian House of Assembly electoral district of Gibson and the Australian House of Representatives Division of Boothby. The first Sturt Post Office opened on 11 October 1849 and closed in 1969. A Darlington South office opened in 1953; it was renamed Sturt South in 1966 and Sturt in 1985.
Edwardstown is an inner southern-western suburb located 6 km southwest of Adelaide in the City of Marion. Edwardstown is in the South Australian House of Assembly Electoral district of Badcoe and the Australian House of Representatives Division of Hindmarsh. Edwardstown is home to the Castle Plaza Shopping Centre.
Castle Plaza is a shopping centre located in the Adelaide suburb of Edwardstown approximately 7 km from the CBD, along South Road. It was expanded in the mid 1980s and the new development was opened in July 1987. Attending that day were a number of local personalities including John Platten. Providing the guard of honour were the 1st Ascot Park Scout Group. It contains three major tenants (Target, Coles – 14 Aisles, Foodland Supermarkets) and the Castle Tavern (including gaming room) as well as 66 specialty stores, plus two free standing fast food outlets. The centre is currently owned by the CFS Retail Property Trust. In July 2007 it was announced that CFS had purchased the Hills Industries site (7.78 hectares) directly opposite Castle Plaza for $25.3 million. There are plans for a further $80 million retail development on this site subject to approval by City of Marion Council.
Melrose Park is a suburb of Adelaide, South Australia in the City of Mitcham. It is bordered by South Road, Daws Road, Winston Avenue and Edward Street. Until 1989, Melrose Park was part of the suburb of Edwardstown. The name change occurred as the suburb was quite large, located on either side of South Road and was in the jurisdiction of two local government councils, with the larger western side belonging to the City of Marion. The suburb was named after early South Australian aviator, Charles James Melrose.