Best Tradesmen in Melbourne Camberwell, VIC
Camberwell is a small village just off the New England Highway in the Hunter Region of New South Wales, Australia. It is 196 kilometres north of Sydney and 15 kilometres northwest of Singleton in Singleton Shire. The village has an historic Anglican church, St Clements, which was opened in 1844. The area also has numerous open-cut mining operations. The placename almost certainly refers to Camberwell, a district in London, England.
The Camberwell Sunday Market is a second hand goods and craft market held every Sunday morning (except for the Sunday prior to Christmas Day). The market was created by Balwyn Rotary in 1976 to fund a wide range of charitable causes. The Market is now an iconic part of weekends in Melbourne.
Burwood is a suburb in the Inner West of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. It is 10 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district and is the administrative centre for the local government area of Burwood Council. Burwood Heights is a separate suburb to the south. The Appian Way is a street in Burwood, known for its architecturally designed Federation-style homes.
Burwood has a mixture of residential, commercial, and light industrial developments. The main shopping strip runs along Burwood Road, beside Burwood railway station. Westfield Burwood is a large regional shopping centre, north of the railway line, on Burwood Road opposite Burwood Park. Burwood Plaza is a smaller shopping centre on Railway Parade, south of the railway line. High rise residential and commercial buildings are also found in surrounding streets and along the railway line. Commercial and light industrial developments are located along Parramatta Road.
Burwood features many fine examples of architecture from the Victorian and Federation styles. St Paul’s Anglican Church on Burwood Road was designed by colonial architect Edmund Blacket and built in 1871. Sir Donald Bradman and Lady Bradman, Jessie Menzies were married here in 1932. It is heritage-listed in the NSW State Heritage Register and in the Register of the National Estate.
Hawthorn is an inner suburb of Melbourne, Australia, 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) east of Melbourne’s central business district. Its local government area is the City of Boroondara. Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn, is designated as one of 82 Major Activity Centres in the Melbourne 2030 Metropolitan Strategy. Glenferrie Road is a major shopping strip, with two supermarkets, all major banks and many chain and specialty stores. There are also shopping centres at the corner of Burwood Road and Power Street, in Church Street, in Auburn Road (the western side of which is within the Hawthorn postcode, while the eastern side is in Hawthorn East), the corner of Glenferrie Road and Riversdale Road and the corner of Auburn Road and Riversdale Road.
The suburb also has a number of public recreation areas and the suburb is noted for the number, size and quality of its parks, many of which still retain layouts that were first made in the 19th century. Hawthorn was originally a brick-making area and many of its parks are on the sites of former quarries, which were filled-in by them becoming tips and then parkland. Hawthorn is serviced by three railway stations; Hawthorn, Glenferrie and Auburn. It is also served by tram routes 16, 48, 70, 72, 75 and 109.
The Hawthorn Town Hall building was designed by John Beswicke, and opened with a grand ball in October 1889. In 1911, architect John Koch designed extensions and renovations, with a balcony in the hall, new decorations and a clock in the tower. In 1930 Stuart Calder designed additions–a new Council chamber, new upper foyer and entrance portico. Weekly dances (Saturday nights), debutante balls, concerts, wedding receptions, soup kitchens, immunisation programmes and more recently craft markets are just some of the activities which have taken place in the beautiful ballroom of Hawthorn Town Hall. Over 2012-2013 the Hawthorn Town Hall underwent a $17.9 million refurbishment as a key Boroondara Arts and Cultural facility, with new amenities, including meeting rooms, new art galleries, a gallery commercial area, exhibition and workshop spaces and a café. It was reopened in late 2013 as the Hawthorn Arts Centre.
Surrey Hills is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 11 km east of Melbourne’s Central Business District. Its local government area are the Cities of Boroondara and Whitehorse. Surrey Hills is a classic leafy eastern suburb,situated eleven kilometres from the city. It was settled in the late 19th century and evolved with slightly smaller blocks and slightly simpler housing than its neighbour Canterbury. Most of Surrey Hills’ streets are lined with now-mature European trees, mostly plane and pin oak, creating the leafy look that took nearly a century to achieve.
Surrey Hills contains both the ‘English Counties District’, which is a small area between Canterbury and Riversdale Roads, where the streets are named after English Counties, including Norfolk, Durham, Kent, Middlesex, Essex and Suffolk Roads and the ‘Chatham Precinct’, which is located between Canterbury, Union, Mont Albert & Chatham Roads. The latter streets are named after English places (Croydon, Guildford & Surrey) and Sir Garnet Road, named in honour of a famous British Army General (Garnet Wolseley, 1st Viscount Wolseley, born in Ireland, who served a distinguished career and became a hero in the British army in the late 1800s & early 1900).
The major parks and gardens in Surrey Hills are Surrey Gardens and South Surrey Park. Surrey Hills is also adjacent to Wattle Park, which is just across Riversdale Road to the south, in Burwood. Canterbury Sports Ground is located in the north-west of the suburb and has 3 sporting clubs. It is the home ground of the Australian Rules Football club, Canterbury ‘Cobras’, who currently compete in the Eastern Football League, as well as the Canterbury Cricket Club, which plays on a turf wicket and Canterbury Tennis Club, which has its own clubhouse and 4 en-tou-cas courts.
Box Hill is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) east of Melbourne’s Central Business District in the local government area of the City of Whitehorse. Once a large independent city, Box Hill was absorbed into Melbourne as part of the eastward expansion of the metropolis in the late 1950s. As a result, it once had its own large historic Central Business District, its own municipality in the former City of Box Hill and its own suburbs.
Box Hill is notable for its significant population of people of Asian birth or descent, particularly Chinese. A large number of Asian restaurants and retailers in its shopping district contribute to the visibility of this aspect of the suburb’s demographics. Box Hill is also a major transport hub for Melbourne’s eastern suburbs, with a substantial train station, the route 109 tram, and numerous bus routes serving the suburb.
Box Hill has a shopping precinct. These range from the shops along Station Street and Whitehorse Road, to the suburb’s two shopping centres. Centro Box Hill, formerly Box Hill Central is integrated with a bus interchange and the Box Hill railway station. The neighbouring Centro Box Hill (north section, formerly Centro Whitehorse). Box Hill is also home to a number of recreational services, such as Neighbourhood Houses, a number of Scout Groups, including 11th Box Hill, Mont Albert North (formerly 10th/13th Box Hill), 6th Box Hill and 1st Mont Albert Scout Groups. The Box Hill Community Centre, located 1 km South of Box Hill Central, also provides a number of services to the local community.
Blackburn is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 17 kilometres (11 mi) east of Melbourne’s Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Whitehorse. The origin of the name Blackburn is not certain, but may have been after an early settler or James Blackburn, who designed Yan Yean Reservoir. It lies within the City of Whitehorse, in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs. Blackburn is bounded in the west by Middleborough Road, in the north by Springfield Road, in the east by an irregular line along streets to the east of Blackburn Lake Sanctuary and in the south by Canterbury Road.
The major shopping hub of Box Hill is two train stops away, while three buses connect Blackburn to Forest Hill. It shares its postcode with Blackburn North and Blackburn South. Blackburn contains two railway stations, Laburnum and Blackburn, on the Belgrave and Lilydale lines, the former of which services the locality of Laburnum, in the western part of the suburb. Blackburn is also home of the 1st/8th Blackburn Scout Group and The Nerve Centre. Blackburn enjoys three significant bushland parks: the Blackburn Lake Sanctuary, the Blackburn Creeklands park (comprising Blacks Walk, Kalang Park and Furness Park) which follows Gardiners Creek, and Cootamundra Walk.
Blackburn Lake Sanctuary is located in the suburb of Blackburn. It is the most significant of the many parks in the City of Whitehorse, featuring areas of regenerated bushland and various walking tracks. Throughout the park’s history, much of the recreation in the park revolved around the lake, however today recreation revolves around the appreciation of the Australian native flora, much of which has been regenerated over time. The park is popular with bushwalkers. Cycling is also popular but is usually only partaken locally as the park does not host a cycling through-route trail.
Mitcham is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 21 km east from Melbourne’s Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Whitehorse. Mitcham was named after Mitcham Grove, a farm property that was owned by William Slater, who grew roses and herbs for perfumes and remedies. From its settlement in the 1860s, the Mitcham area was generally used for orchards, brickmaking and pottery. The main north-south roads are Mitcham Road and Heatherdale Road. The main east-west road is Whitehorse Road (Maroondah Highway), which connects with the EastLink tolled freeway, which skirts the northern and eastern boundaries of the suburb. Mitcham has two railways stations; Mitcham and Heatherdale, both of which are on the Belgrave and Lilydale railway lines. There are a number of bus routes, which link the suburb to surrounding areas. Many of these connect with Mitcham railway station.
Schwerkolt Cottage is a pioneer cottage (circa 1880s), near the Yarran Dheran bushland park. The cottage and other buildings are now a local history museum. The cottage is surrounded by 2.25 hectares of gardens and bushland. The stone cottage has been restored to its original condition and furnished in a style of the period. The Opening Hours; Weekends and Public Holidays, 2.00pm-5.00pm and Group Tours by appointment on weekdays only.
Kew is an inner suburb of Melbourne, Australia, 5 km east from Melbourne’s Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Boroondara. Kew used to be a city in its own right. But in 1994 the cities of Kew, Hawthorn and Camberwell were amalgamated to form the City of Boroondara. The suburb borders the Yarra River to the west and north, with Hawthorn to its south and Balwyn to its east.
Prior to the establishment of Melbourne, the area was inhabited by the Wurundjeri peoples. In the 1840s European settlers named it the Parish of Boroondara – meaning “a place of shade” in the Woiwurrung language. In 1838 Dight travelled down the Yarra from Heidelberg and decided to locate a water-powered mill on a site adjacent to the falls; the impressive three-storey mill opened in 1840. Kew has grown steadily since the early Bridge Road crossing development and is cited as one of the most prestigious suburbs in Melbourne.As a consequence, many of these residences now attract some of the highest residential resale values in Melbourne.
Operational from 1871 to 1988, Kew was one of the largest asylums ever built in Australia. Later known as Willsmere, the complex of buildings were constructed between 1864 and 1872 to the design of architects G.W. Vivian and Frederick Kawerau of the Victorian Public Works Officeto house the growing number of “lunatics”, “inebriates”, and “idiots” in the Colony of Victoria. The asylum’s buildings are typical examples of the Italianate architecture style which was popular in Victorian Melbourne. Designed to be elegant, beautiful, yet substantial, and to be viewed as “a magnificent asylum for the insane” with the aim of portraying Melbourne as a civilised and benevolent city whilst avoiding the jail-like appearance of other asylums.
Balwyn is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 10 km east of Melbourne’s Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Boroondara. Well known for its high quality family lifestyle and many leafy streets, Balwyn is among Melbourne’s most exclusive and desirable suburbs. Balwyn in the north is separated from Balwyn North by Belmore Road, bounded in the west by Burke Road, in the south by an irregular line along Mont Albert Road, Northcote Avenue and Whitehorse Road and in the east by a line some distance to the east of Union Road.
Whitehorse Road runs east-west along the ridgeline through the centre of Balwyn. Balwyn Road runs north-south from Koonung Creek Reserve (adjacent to the Eastern Freeway) to Canterbury Road. The south west part of Balwyn was excised as the suburb of Deepdene in 2010. Balwyn is consistently ranked as one of Melbourne’s 10 most exclusive suburbs. The heritage-protected Reid Estate is especially noted – an area of Balwyn between Mont Albert Road and Whitehorse Road developed in the interwar period and graced with numerous mansions, many of which are of architectural significance. Balwyn is also home to the exquisite Maranoa Gardens, a native garden developed by citizens. The suburb has been immortalised by the Skyhooks single named after the suburb, ‘Balwyn Calling’, while The Age newspaper once described the suburb as “arguably Melbourne’s most loved”.
Located in the Melbourne suburb of Balwyn, this large suburban theatre was known as Cinema International in the 1960s through to the 1980s. It was now been split into three screens during the 1990’s, and in 2002 an additional 2 screens were added to the side of the original building. Now operated by Palace Cinemas, this also serves as their Head Office.